GDC (Game Developers Conference) is the largest gathering of game developers in the world and for the better part of a week, San Francisco will be home to insightful talks, an expo to showcase the latest titles and game technologies and lots of networking (ideally at parties). The Flemish games industry will be well represented, with Benjamin Dalle, the Flemish minister of Culture, Media & Youth and a local delegation consisting of a.o. FLEGA, FIT, VAF, the Flanders Game Hub and about 40 Belgian developers showing everyone present what we’re capable of.
It’s THE moment to expand your knowledge and pitch your games or services to publishers, investors or potential clients, and it can be vital to launching your next idea(s).
Games and developers and drinks, oh my!
On the 19th of March, the night before GDC’s official opening, Courage XL acts as a pre-mixer event where players get a free beer in exchange for providing feedback on games. It’s become a popular showcase event that draws upwards of 500 visitors, among which are several publishers and investors but also popular creators or members of the press, so it’s an excellent opportunity to get the ball rolling and to get your game out there for fresh eyes to behold.
From the Flemish side of things, these companies will be showcasing:
- Banzai Studios, with Gazzlers, an on-rails VR shooter
- Day and Night Solutions, developers of games and tools for blockchain game platforms, such as HeXenagos.
- Nachtvlam, with Verses of Enchantment, a AI driven card game that writes poetry based on your played turns.
- Smart Games, developer of educational multi-level logic games
GDC conference & expo
After two days of inspiring conference talks, including two by Demute, our proud member with incredible audio expertise, the expo halls will finally open their doors on Wednesday the 22nd of March, and welcome players and game professionals alike. The Flemish companies are again well represented at the BelgianGames booth, where they can dazzle visitors with our locally brewed products.
Take a sip of what we have to offer this year:
- Apptweak: helps companies grow their apps and games with actionable insights.
- Banzai Studios: Put on a VR headset and shoot the pursuing enemies in Gazzlers.
- Crazy Games: a free online games portal
- Cybernetic Walrus: known for their games but at GDC they’ll mostly be pitching their gametech-related services.
- DAE Studios: game incubator and accelerator
- Flanders Game Hub: Flemish game incubator & accelerator
- Oisoi Studio: Letting you become a true VR-tist with digital paint in Painting VR.
- Smart Games: developer of educational multi-level logic games
But that’s not all, whoever is walking the GDC hallways or booking their calendars with interesting people to meet may also encounter these Flemish game developers, who’ll be accompanying us on this trip:
- Briganti: Creators of Dungeon Alchemist, an AI-powered map making tool for Tabletop RPGs
- Chris Hanney: freelance videogame expert
- Cyborn: the studio behind the visually impressive VR title Hubris
- Echtgoed: Game and UX design
- Happy Volcano: developers behind The Almost Gone and You Suck At Parking, who are currently working on an exciting undisclosed project
- I-illusions: developers famous for VR shooter Space Pirate Trainer and recently released snowboard game Shredders
- Jordy Lakière: solo developer of international indie hit We Who Are About to Die
- Lifelong Games: Developer of Brukel, a historic legacy title.
- MoonMonster Studios: game studio currently developing Space Control, a hilarious VR scifi escapade.
- Previewlabs: rapid prototyping
- Sander Vanhove: freelance game developer
- Team Panoptes: The Brussels based studio behind VR titles such as Panoptic and Silhouette
- Triangle Factory: studio known for their VR success Hyperdash and upcoming VR team-based shooter Breachers
- Venly: developing web3 tools
Needless to say, the Flemish games industry will be present in full force. And minister Dalle will also be using GDC23 as an opportunity to visit many of the top international players in the videogame landscape. A packed agenda of company visits and meetings with META, Sony PlayStation, Microsoft Xbox, Epic and Unity, among others, will strengthen current international partners and open new international doors for our vibrant Flemish game community.
So if you’re reading this, and you’ll be at GDC 2023, come pay us a visit at the BelgianGames booth: North Hall // Booth N2803.