If you’re a Flemish/Brussels game developer looking for (additional) funding, it’s time to snap out of your holiday slumber and prepare your application for the next VAF Gamefonds call!
A lot of things have changed (for the better!) since last year. We’ll run you past the key info here, but do check out our interview with VAF game coordinator Youri Loedts and the VAF website for more details.
The next VAF Gamefonds call will be on February 19. Projects can apply for the following types of support:
- Preproduction: max. € 15.000 (or € 75.000 if a prototype is being developed during preproduction)
- Production: max. € 250.000, developers applying for more than € 150.000 (preproduction and production combined) will be invited to a 20 minute hearing by the commission
- Promotion: max. € 50.000 and only available to projects who have previously received VAF preproduction and/or production support
Applications fall into one of three categories.
- Entertainment games: Games that have entertainment as their primary goal. The total funding can’t exceed 50% of the total budget. Applications will be reviewed and voted on by the commission for entertainment and artistic games.
- Artistic games: Niche projects or installations that have less ways of being commercialised. The total funding can’t exceed 85% of the total budget. Applications will be reviewed and voted on by the commission for entertainment and artistic games.
- Serious games: Games with added social value or games for education. The total funding can’t exceed 75% of the total budget. Applications will be reviewed and voted on by the commission for serious games.
To more closely resemble a classic pitch, written applications will have to be accompanied by a short (1 minute) pitch video where developers get the chance to express their passion and show their idea. Please give this video the proper care as you only get one chance to make a first impression.
VAF Gamefonds has streamlined the application process and we’ve already heard a lot of great feedback from developers. You can always contact game coordinator Youri Loedts if you need help with your application or want to leave feedback on the procedure.
VAF Gamefonds is looking forward to your applications on February 19. Good luck!