UPDATE: newspaper De Morgen picked up our story (in Dutch)!
During the GDC’15 week and at the eve of the Euro Pitch Night in San Francisco, we at FLEGA are proud to annouce the 2015 release of multiple high profile titles, developed in the region of Flanders (the Dutch speaking part of Belgium). Check out digital platforms such as Steam as well as Apple and Google AppStores for the following amazing products:
- Woolfe (GRIN) March 17
A cinematic fable featuring a vengeful Red Riding Hood. This twisted fairytale is presented as a 2.5D platformer in which our heroine runs, jumps and puzzles her way through a rich fantasy setting of a once blooming city and evil forests, wielding her trusted axe.
- Guns, Gore & Cannoli (Crazy Monkey Studios) Spring 2015
A comical, cinematic and fast-paced 2D side-scrolling action game. The story is set in the Roaring Twenties and offers the obvious bootlegging, ruthless gangsters and mandatory tommyguns. Fight, shoot, blast your way through an exiting underworld conspiracy story.
- Element4l (i-Illusions) Spring 2015
The PlayStation Vita release of this immersive and experimental platformer, with a strong focus on flow and smooth gameplay, wrapped in an exceptional soundtrack. Control four elements who are bound together on a journey to shape life.
- QuizWitz (CatLab Interactive) Spring 2015
A web-based party quiz game and community where you collect and create your own question packs for a fun evening with friends and family. The game can be played on and controlled with nearly any device with access to the internet.
- Lava Fever (Happy Volcano) Spring 2015
A twitch action game on iOS set inside an angry volcano. You are sent on a suicide mission to the bottom of the volcano to sacrifice yourself and save your village.
- Mayan Death Robots (Sileni Studios) Summer 2015
A unique mix between a fighting game and Worms. Play as an alien robot who lands in Mexico 1500 years ago during the height of the Maya civilization to blow the jungle to pieces and gather praise from the Mayans, who think their gods have descended from the heavens.
- Edorble (Worlds Beyond Studios) Release TBA
An immersive, 3D world designed for online education, accessible from pcs, mobile devices and next generation virtual reality tools such as the Oculus Rift. In Edorble, teachers can share and display course content, gamify their world and collaborate with students.
- BouncerVR (TerraNovita Software) Release TBA
Developed from the ground up for Virtual Reality, although it can also be played without VR glasses. Control a shield with your vision (or a controller). Collect coloured resources to charge your abilities and to attack. But beware, the enemy can bounce your attacks back at you.
Not only quality games are being developed in Flanders, we’re also on the forefront of innovation in games as demonstrated by some of our middleware and service providers:
- Graphine is a graphics middleware provider that develops rock-solid texture streaming and texture compression technology for the videogame and 3D visualization industries. Their middleware – Granite SDK – minimizes memory usage, storage size and loading times while allowing the use of massive amounts of texture data, pushing real-time rendering forward with its support for VR and 3D scanned graphics.
- PreviewLabs’ Rapid Game Prototyping is a service that lets you quickly turn your game ideas and concepts into a functional prototype, playable on PCs, Smart Phones, or other platforms.
In 2012 the Belgian games industry generated a total revenue of €40,895,732* before taxes of which we estimate around 70% originated from Flanders, the Dutch speaking part of Belgium (the other 30% coming from Wallonia, the French speaking part of Belgium).
Most Flemish games are globally released in English. The latest big Flemish release being Divinity: Original Sin (Larian Studios), in June 2014, amassing 600.000+ sales worldwide in just a few months on the Steam platform. During the 2014 holiday season, Divinity: Original Sin was even released as a boxed game at major US retailers.
Many Flemish games won highly coveted international awards such as the Nuovo Award at the IGF Awards for Tales of Tales’ Luxuria Superbia, the Best Game Award at the European Fantastic Film Festival Strasbourg for i-Illusions’ Element4l and the Gamespot 2014 PC Game of The Year Award for aforementioned Divinity: Original Sin.
* Source: 2012 Belgian National Bank reports