Hot summers are for relaxing by the pool and sipping cocktails while you melt at the beach.
Except when you’re a Belgian game developer. Then hot summers are for trying to get your build ready for gamescom, hitting milestones and receiving awards. Let’s take a look at some recent accomplishments of some Belgian studios.
- Happy Volcano won second prize at the Big Indie Pitch at Develop conference in Brighton, where they also gave a talk on how to score an internship in the games industry.
- After more than a year, Epistory – Typing Chronicles by Fishing Cactus currently holds an overwhelmingly positive review rating on Steam. The game was also nominated for an Innovation award at the GamesForChange festival in New York.
- The puzzle game Yellow by designer Bart Bonte reached more than one million downloads on GooglePlay.
- You can now play cat and mouse in VR with Oculus Rift as Team Panoptes pushed an update of the Panoptic demo.
- Triangle Factory reach more than 200k downloads with Switch, the transmedia co-production with Panenka and VRT.
- DAE comes out on top in both Brains Eden student game jam and The Rookies competition for designers, creators, innovators and artists.
- Founding fathers of the Belgian game scene Larian Studios recently celebrated three years of Divinity: Original Sin and are counting down the days to the release of the sequel.
Amazingly, these are all from last month! We know we spread this message every so often, but the Belgian games industry as a whole is doing a really good job. Be proud of what you’ve accomplished and keep up the good work. We’re gonna rock Cologne!
Bart BonteBelgian Games IndustryBrains EdenDigital Arts and EntertainmentDivinity: Original Sin 2EpistoryFishing CactusHappy VolcanoLarian Studiosmotivational speechpanopticSwitchTeam PanoptesThe RookiesTriangle FactoryYellow